Saturday, December 4, 2010

What Have I Learned?

I've been in DC for nearly three months for an internship, and I've learned a lot of imperative processes that are sure to enhance my future potential employment. I've gone to Congressional hearings, I've researched and put together forums for clients, I've performed administrative duties, and I've dazzled the health care firm with my natural charm and wit.

Tonight, however, as I lie in bed on a lazy Saturday evening watching movie after movie, it has finally occurred to me as to what Washington D.C. has truly done for me. Thanks to the vast amounts of spare time that DC has inadvertently given to my weekends coupled with the endless array of HBO channels, I can not-so-proudly confirm that I can successfully recite 85% of the lines from He's Just Not That Into You.
Bearing in mind that I had yet to see this movie in full until I arrived in this city, tonight I found myself annoyingly reciting each line at a premature rate as I willingly sat through the film for the umpteenth time.

Runner up for most watched HBO channel movie is (500) Days of Summer, which, coincidentally, comes on in 30 minutes. This situation might be considered even more pathetic since I physically own a copy of the movie yet still feel the need to turn to it without fail if I see its presence on my channel guide.

It really isn't my fault that I've seen these movies so many times in such a short time frame. Truthfully, I cannot control HBO's repetitive scheduling. These are light hearted, relatable, girly films and if I watch one or the other three days in a row then it is my business alone. And if I watch one or the other twice in one day then so be it. And if the two movies happen to come on back to back as in tonight's situation then it may or may not be the highlight of my day...or week.

Truly, DC is a city of enlightenment (obviously), and as I only have one week and some change left in this mini adventure, I am beginning to notice all of the ways in which DC has or will leave its mark onto me.

Aside from the fact that I will never again be able to watch the aforementioned movies without thinking of my hole-in-the-wall apartment, I will also no longer be able to listen to Skeleton Key by Margot & The Nuclear So-So's without a faint remembrance of walking the sidewalks daily to and from the office.

Speaking of sidewalks, I will hitherto be conscientious of each step that I take in order to avoid unleveling grounds that are caused by over-developed tree roots.
A person need trip very few times for this lesson to permanently stick.

I've also learned to always wear walking shoes because the escalators at the metro station WILL be out of order, especially if it is raining.

I've learned that having a gym within walking distance doesn't necessarily mean that I will go. I've learned that no matter how hard I try I will never be able to figure out how to unlock the backdoor of my apartment. I've learned that I can eat caesar salads everyday and never tire of them. I've learned that I will miss my desired stop if I fall asleep on the subway. I've learned that I am sensational at catching a taxi. I've learned from the North Easterners that I do not carry the southern accent that is stereotypical of my Tennesseean roots. And speaking of stereotypes, I've also learned, to my dismay, that the "ignorant country bumpkin" prejudice still stands.

Though these past months have been challenging in terms of lacking a sufficient social life, I am content that I can soon return home with valuable and applicable experiences and knowledge (as trivial or monumental as it may be) that can be applied in and out of an employment office setting.

So thanks, DC! I think that I will miss you?

"I'm in love with Summer. I love her smile. I love her hair. I love her knees. I love how she licks her lips before she talks. I love her heart-shaped birthmark on her neck. I love when she sleeps.
I hate Summer. I hate her crooked teeth. I hate her 1960s haircut. I hate her knobby knees. I hate her cockroach-shaped splotch on her neck. I hate the way she she smacks her lips before she talks. I hate the way she sounds when she laughs."

1 comment:

  1. Hey my sweet Emmy girl...
    i have never even seen those two movies...i love girly movies sooo they will go on my list of ones to see. I assume the lines at the end of this post are from one of them??

    Love you my sweet niece, Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete