Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's the Magical Mystery Kind.

My boyfriend came over last night and shared some disturbing news with me.
He learned at work during a "conference call" (my boy is so grown up) that studies show that the average person thinks 36 negative thoughts per hour, whether they are subconsciously thought or not!
36!
Let us do the math to this.
36 negative thoughts per hour means 864 negative thoughts per day.
That is 6,048 negative thoughts per week.
THERE ARE 52 WEEKS IN A YEAR.
THAT IS 314,496 NEGATIVE THOUGHTS PER YEAR!

These thoughts include everything from tiny dissatisfactions like "My hair isn't cooperating today" or "That person really gets on my nerves" to negativity on a grander scheme like "I'll never be able to do that..." or "I'm too fat, I'm too ugly, I'm too skinny."
These figures, of course, are based on the average person- so if you feel that you are not at all effected by adversity on a daily basis, I would love for you to give me pointers!
I, however, am admittedly a prime candidate to fulfill this statistic, and I really want to change that.
So much negativity can't be healthy and is bound to take a toll on a person in more ways than one.

Something that Eliot (my boyfriend) suggested to do everyday was to think of three positive things that happened that day. They could be big or small, however seems fit, just as long as they have a positive or beneficial connotation.

Here is what I have come up with for today (as it is only 1 o'clock in the afternoon, I expect much more positivity to ensue):
1. I continued my work out routine on the elliptical machine this morning- 20 minutes.
2. My dad took me out to lunch today, just he and I.
3. I looked in the mirror and noticed that I'm getting sun freckles on my cheeks (I've always been secretly jealous of girls with freckles, I think they are the cutest things.)

And I feel better already!
I invite everyone else to do the same. Whenever negativity is getting the best of you, this exercise really helps!

6 comments:

  1. I guess I can admit that I am also a prime candidate. Your idea of 3 positive things is awesome and thank you for reminding me that we should be more positive and less harsh on ourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good idea, negativity creeps in far more easily than positive thoughts..

    1) Cleaned the apt today. REALLY cleaned.
    2) I made the most delicious strawberry smoothie
    3) My good friends that I haven't seen in ages are coming over tonight!

    What a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay kelsey! i wish we were real life friends so i could have a taste of that smoothie. sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for following!
    i have returned the favour ;)

    this is a really interesting post! makes you think, doesn't it.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Freckles are so cool - enjoy them, I still can't get them!
    love
    Aimee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we think that many negative thoughts, maybe we think even more positive thoughts? Haha, wishful thinking ^^; I love the wedding photos btw, they look great!

    ReplyDelete