Friday, July 1, 2011

Every now and then I go through phases when all I want to listen to is my mixed CDs. Not just any mixed CD, mind you - the ones that are at least five years old. 
I enjoy the immense anticipation at the end of each song as to which tune will follow. I like to think to myself, "Emmy, what were you thinking when you put this crap on here?!" I am also fond of the fact that I, without a doubt, whether it is a good song or not, will know all of the lyrics to each track on the entire disc, and sometimes that is just a nice thing too. The thing I love the most though, is resurrecting moments from the past - only the happiest moments. Because music just has that wonderful ability.

Today I selected a rarity. While I managed to sharpie a very inviting piece of art on the front of the disc, I have had an inexplicable notion that this particular CD might not have been part of my best mixes to date so I hadn't listened to it in quite some time. 
But I took a chance and popped it in anyway. Track 15.
The throwback of all throwbacks! 
For a split second the humid July heat felt cool and brisk, and the high noon sun presented a flashing hue of dusk. The reminiscent sensation lasted only a second, if that. Afterward though I couldn't stop thinking about the point in time that that song took me to - fall months, colored leaves, a slight chill in the air, teenager, driving through the back roads with the window slightly cracked to let in the cool breeze. Full blast.

I am a self-proclaimed wannabe-city girl, but I will be the first to admit that there is nothing better than evening autumn drives in Tennessee. To me, fall is the ultimate season, and I am sad that I won't be able to experience the beauty of it in its totality this year.
At least in the future, when I am undoubtedly missing my October excursions while being crammed into an over crowded subway car, I know that all I need to do is turn on Existentialism on Prom Night in order to bring forth a vivid recollection of some of the best times.

Needless to say, the song has been on repeat. All day. Still.

And probably will be tomorrow too.

1 comment:

  1. I sang and played this song in my high school talent show once haha. The greatest song.

    ReplyDelete